Sunday, 2 February 2014

A Border Print Skirt

It's been a busy month of sewing, and all of it stash busting. 

First up is a simple skirt using a small length of cotton border print.  I would have loved a dress in this fabric but only had a metre to work with.

Border print A-line skirt

I ended up going with a simple A-line skirt using my trusty vintage simplicity (Simplicity 7142) as a base, then I added a self drafted shaped waistband.

I fully underlined in a cotton voile as the fabric is very lightweight and as a skirt I wanted it to have a little more body.  It transformed the fabric so beautifully.  I am a massive fan of organza but I decided that simple cotton would work better for this fabric.

The seams are all serged, the hem is hand stitched to the underlining and the zipper is a 8" one from stash that I inserted as a lapped zipper, my favourite method for a "normal" zipper.

To keep the lovely print unbroken as I didn't have enough to pattern match I cut the back piece on the fold and moved the zipper to the side.

Border print A-line skirt

I've worn it "dressy" with the black top and heels but also found myself wearing casually with a coloured t-shirt or singlet top and casual sandals - the lightweight cotton makes its very cool and comfortable to wear.




5 comments :

  1. Yay for stashbusting! Love the skirt Janelle, it's a vey pretty fabric and your pattern matching around the border is seamless

    ReplyDelete
  2. This fabric is stunning. Shame you didn't have enough for a dress, but it's lovely all the same and probably more wearable as a skirt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kristy! The pattern matching on the side is a total accident but I was really happy when I saw how nicely it came together at the seams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Christy. Yes, my husband is now knows to buy more than 1 metre of something when he is on one of his business trips to Vietnam. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh so pretty! I'm loving that fabric and the skirt is perfect for showing it off. It's great when you can either dress up or dress down a piece. Perfect wardrobe planning :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...