Sunday, 2 February 2014

Lace Yoke Tee Revisted* and New Look 6813**

* or what happens when your iron is too hot and your melt the lace.
** a dressy knit tee.

I had this tee I made last year sometime.  The lace I used was a bit scratchy and I made the same mistake I made nearly all year which was make the armholes too high/tight (adjusting for sloping shoulders all year but forgot to lower the armscyce by the same amount - took me year to notice nearly all my clothes are too tight under the arm, true story). 

Anyhow, as I result I never really wore it but pulled it out of the wardrobe the other night to try and fix it.  The first thing I did was apply the iron to the lace while it was set on cotton/linen and melted a large hole in the lace.   Okay then.

So I fixed it.  I  took the body of the tee in by quite a bit to make it more fitted, the resulting curve on the pattern looks really exagerated.  I added a new, much nicer lace with a couple of tweaks for a better fit, using the old cut off lace as my muslin/pattern.  I lowered the armscyce about 1/2".

Self drafted lace yoke tee

It is now much more comfortable to wear and the nice lace makes it feel more special (I do normally wear it with a flesh coloured bra though so please excuse the hot pink bra straps)


While I was in the mood for making dressy tops I also made New Look 6813 View B in a very stretchy knit crepe.  I made it up two sizes smaller than my measurements (actually one and a half as my measurements put me between a 12 and 14 and I cut a 10) as I read this pattern runs very large.  I can't remember if I graded it out at the hips or not - late night sewing session.

Other than that I made it up a per the pattern and am very happy with the overall fit but found the yoke band totally the wrong angle for my narrow sloped shoulders.   

New Look 6813 View B

When I tried it on the shoulder seams stood up like horns.  I wasn't in the mood for serious unpicking so I just chopped the offending excess fabric off and covered the resulting hot mess of a seamline with a large bow.  It makes me feel like I am wearing footballers shoulder pads and a bit ridiculous, even for me with my love of OTT girlishness.  Time will tell if the bows come off (I'll just stitch a neat band over the exposed seams instead) but I'll see how I feel wearing it first.

New Look 6813 View B

I think this pattern may be OOP as it doesn't come up on the Simplicity website but the top is a great raglan sleeve basic tee with two neckline variations and the skirt has nice pleating too so I will revisit this pattern again when I want to make a t-shirt again.  Other than the sizing issue, I really recommend it for a good knit top pattern - just cut one or two sizes smaller.


14 comments :

  1. Loving both the lace yoke and the turquoise creation, and nice work on the re-invention :) They both look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the change you made to the first top. A happy accident!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur - they both look wonderful! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had my fair share of ironing accidents too so I sympathise! Both your modifications worked out great! I think the bow really works as a design feature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the bows you added to the turquoise Tee. Does not look footballer at all and not twee either since they are large and in charge. :) The lace tee is lovely. Is the lace you used stretch lace? It does not look like it, but I wonder how it is to get off and on if it is not stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good. I am glad you think that about the bows. Sometimes I think I should start dressing more my "age" but where is the fun in that? The lace is a stretch lace. Only 10% but enough to make it easy to get on/off and it works well with the jersey. Its this one here https://www.fabric.com/buy/0291342/designer-lace-paisley-cream

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh thank you. Looks like the bows are staying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes a very happy accident. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both tops look fantastic, but I love what you did to recover the white lace one. Real pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tops! They look great on you and because you don't have wide shoulders I think you can wear the bows well. Also,thanks for the tip about this pattern running big. I find that this happens quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great save on the first shirt! I really like the lace you used. Keep the bows on the blue shirt. They don't look anything like shoulder pads and I think they're a great design feature!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovin' the turq top with the bows - awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...